New people, staff or strangers are NOT allowed to change MichaelAnn's brief, bathe or dress her.
- We are trying to build in a sense of privacy for her. With so many aides & people in her life it is extremely important she learn that people she just meets do not do private things with her.
- Sherry or Greg will let you know when you can do these things.
- Let her choose the outfit.
- Have 2 outfits out for her to choose from.
- Shirts/Dresses/Over-the-head items
- Put over her head first.
- Put hand in left arm hole.
- Tell MichaelAnn to "push", she will push her arm through the hole. May have to tell her to push a few times, be patient.
- Repeat other arm.
- Put in her right arm first.
- You will probably have to put your hand in the arm sleeve and grab her hand/arm to pull it through the sleeve.
- Usually she will lie down to put pants on.
- Start one leg in pant leg.
- Tell MichaelAnn to "push". May have to tell her to push a few times, be patient.
- MichaelAnn may give you her other leg without you asking her. Praise her for doing this on her own.
- Repeat for other leg.
- Depending on circumstance, you can have her stand to finish pulling them up or have her roll side to side until you get them pulled up.
- MichaelAnn will wear underwear over her brief/diaper when she wears a dress.
- Lift top over her head from the bottom.
- She will hold her arms up - if not, tell her to hold her arms up.
- Pants - she usually lies down so you can take them off.
- MichaelAnn uses an electric toothbrush.
- Use a small amount of toothpaste because she does not spit it out.
- Show her the toothbrush and tell her to "open wide".
- Hold the toothbrush in front of her until she looks at it and opens wide.
- Let her hold the toothbrush, if she doesn't want to hold it don't make a big deal about it, just brush her teeth.
- She may want to brush her teeth by herself when you have "completed" brushing them. That's okay! You want her to be brushing her teeth independently. Praise her!
- When brushing her teeth she will stop a few times (close her mouth and/or turn her head), use this opportunity to rinse the toothbrush with water.
- She will, most of the time, open her mouth again. NEVER force the toothbrush into her mouth.
- MichaelAnn does tend to bite the brush; just wait for her to open her mouth to move the brush.
- We usually tell her that side of her mouth or those teeth are sparkling and we should make some others sparkle.
- MichaelAnn does like her hair brushed if not tangled. When her hair was long she wasn't to fond of getting her hair brushed.
- If dry -- spray her hair with water. Cover her face with your hand. Spraying is the worse part for her, especially if you get her face wet.
- Brush slow on scalp, hold hair if knots so as not to pull her hair.
- Use the wide tooth comb to get the snarls out. Then use the brush. She likes her hair brushed.
- Then style.
- If you take longer than she expects she will get upset.
Post a Comment